In addition to injectables and skin care, Dr. Kevin Cook can utilize state-of-the-art laser technology to rejuvenate the appearance of your skin without invasive surgery. Laser skin resurfacing, sometimes referred to as a laser peel, can treat many common signs of age as well as sun damage, hyperpigmentation, and other aesthetic skin imperfections. This innovative anti-aging treatment can simultaneously remove the outer layers of damaged skin while stimulating your natural collagen production and bringing out healthier skin layers. If years of harmful sun exposure, hazardous environmental elements, or simply the effects of aging have affected your appearance, laser skin resurfacing can help you achieve smoother, clearer, and younger-looking skin. Some of our patients at Midland Plastic Surgery Center choose laser skin resurfacing as an alternative to more invasive procedures, while others combine laser skin resurfacing with surgical procedures such as facelift or rhinoplasty for a more comprehensive rejuvenation.
Benefits of Laser Skin Resurfacing
Laser skin resurfacing can provide a more even, uniform skin tone and offers a wide range of benefits, including:
- Reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Minimizing the appearance of dark spots
- Reversing visible sun damage and signs of common skin conditions
- Softening acne scars
- Correcting skin irregularities
Dr. Cook will custom-design laser skin resurfacing treatment to achieve your personal goals and expectations. After the unhealthy, damaged, or dead layers of skin are removed, a smoother, softer, and more youthful complexion can be revealed. In addition to facial skin, laser skin resurfacing can also effectively treat many other areas of the body, such as the neck, décolleté, or arms. To learn more about how laser skin resurfacing can help you improve the appearance of your skin, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Cook today.
Laser Skin Resurfacing Procedure
Laser skin resurfacing employs advanced laser technology to break the molecular bonds of unhealthy, damaged, or dead skin cells. The treatment is performed as an outpatient procedure, utilizes a topical anesthetic to increase your comfort, and the length of the procedure can range from fifteen minutes to one hour or more, depending upon the number and size of the target areas.
Laser Skin Resurfacing Options
During your initial consultation, Dr. Cook will analyze your medical history, perform a thorough physical exam, and determine if you are an ideal candidate for laser skin resurfacing. Dr. Cook takes the time to inform you of all your options and answer any questions you may have. If you are a good candidate for laser skin resurfacing, Dr. Cook will recommend which type of resurfacing might best meet your needs and design a custom-tailored treatment plan.
- Halo™: The Halo™ laser by Sciton® is a fractional laser that allows Dr. Cook to utilize both ablative and non-ablative wavelengths simultaneously. Since each individual wavelength can be adjusted depending upon the unique concerns of the patient, this laser offers an extremely high level of precision and a fully customized treatment. This hybrid laser can reduce treatment time and downtime while maximizing your results.
- BBL: Broad-Band Light therapy (BBL) employs focused and filtered light to target skin irregularities such as the redness from rosacea with extreme precision, minimizing risk to your healthy surrounding tissues. By applying different filters, Dr. Cook is able to target a wider range of skin concerns. This laser can also be customized to tighten skin and reduce common signs of age.
- Forever Young BBL™: For the treatment of key signs of skin aging, we offer several laser resurfacing options, including Forever Young BBL™ therapy. This BroadBand Light treatment provides a wide array of skin rejuvenating benefits which include improvement in skin tone, clarity, texture, and smoothness. For many patients, a series of Forever Young BBL™ treatments can bring about dramatic skin transformation with minimal to no downtime.
- Erbium Resurfacing: Erbium lasers are specially designed to treat age-related skin conditions, such as wrinkles around the eyes. These lasers offer Dr. Cook exceptionally precise control over the exfoliation process. The power of erbium lasers can be customized and dialed down to perform what some call a “micro laser peel,” which can significantly minimize or eliminate any downtime.
Recovery and Results
Though the exact nature of your recovery will vary depending upon which laser is used for your treatment, most patients return to their normal daily activities within one to two days, or longer in some cases. The downtime associated with laser skin resurfacing is typically minimal, though your skin may redden or darken before flaking off to reveal a more youthful and even skin tone. Some swelling and irritation, similar to the effects of a sunburn, may occur. Dr. Cook recommends paying particularly close attention to your skin care regimen during this recovery time, and will provide detailed instructions during the consultation process. Many of our patients choose to undergo multiple laser skin resurfacing sessions to optimize their results.
To learn more information about the benefits of laser skin resurfacing, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Cook, please contact us today.