One of the most common concerns for women who come to us for a tummy tuck in Midland, Texas is the recovery process. While it’s true that a tummy tuck may involve a one to three weeks of downtime, the experience can be pleasant if you know what to expect. To help you prepare for a tummy tuck, we’ll explain the recovery period and other ways to stay healthy to ensure the best tummy tuck results.
The recovery time will depend on how well your body heals. You can expect your recovery to last about 3 to 6 weeks after the operation.
- Weeks 1 and 2: During the first 2 weeks, you will likely feel tired, sore, and you maybe more emotional. Keep activity level to a minimum and make sure you have someone to help you with day-to-day tasks. The first one to two weeks are usually the most challenging for our patients. Please use this time to rest and heal. Be sure not to lift anything over 10 to 20 lbs.—including your children or pets.
- Week 3: Most patients feel well enough by the third week to start introducing some light activity, such as non-impact cardio like casual walking. Walking promotes circulation, reduces swelling, and encourages healing. If you have a desk job, you should be able to return to work after the second week. However, if your work is more physically demanding, you’ll need to talk to Dr. Cook about the best time to go back.
- Weeks 4 and 5: Many people feel more like themselves and can enjoy a moderate workout routine. Walking at an incline or riding a stationary bike at a slow pace are very good options. Remember to start slowly and don’t do too much too soon. We advise to stay away from any abdominal exercises and weightlifting.
- Week 6: By week 6 you can slowly get back into your regular routine after being cleared by Dr. Cook. It is usually safe to start lifting weights or doing core work at this time but make sure you are listening to your body.
Additional Ways to Stay Healthy
In addition to following Dr. Cook’s instructions and easing back into your normal routine, you can do the following for a smooth recovery:
- Take supplements such as vitamins A and C in addition to a probiotic.
- Drink green tea for extra antioxidants and to boost your immune system.
- Eat a well-balanced, protein-rich diet that includes fresh fruits.
- NO smoking! Smoking hinders recovery time and the healing process.
Is a Tummy Tuck at Midland Plastic Surgery Right for You?
Tummy tuck surgery is a very rewarding procedure that can enhance your appearance. To find out if a tummy tuck is right for you, use the online form to request a consultation or call our office at (432) 618-6772 to schedule a no-cost consultation.